Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP seeks to hire a Compliance Lawyer to join the US Compliance Team, based in Houston, Texas. The US Compliance Team consists, at present, of the Head of Compliance US, two Senior Compliance Lawyers, and a team of Compliance Lawyers, Compliance Analysts, and Client/Matter Intake Analysts. The US Compliance Team, in turn, works daily with Norton Rose Fulbright Compliance Teams in Australia, Canada, South Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. This position requires a commitment to work outside of regular business hours.
The role will report to a Senior Compliance Lawyer and Head of Compliance US and will liaise with Global Compliance Lawyers, Compliance Analysts, Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP partners, and other personnel.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advise partners, attorneys and the Global Compliance Team regarding the identification and resolution of potential conflicts of interests, including the relevant legal and ethical considerations and commercial concerns
- Collaborate with a team of analysts to ensure consistent workflow and timely production, which includes specifically supervising the workflows and work products of at least two Compliance Analysts
- Interact with all levels of Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP Management to resolve potential conflict of interest issues or commercial concerns in the context of new matter intake, lateral hires, business development, and practice development projects
- Drive any conflict issues to full resolution and manage a docket of between 15 and 30 outstanding conflict matters at any given time
- Assist with enforcement and other issues related to Norton Rose Fulbright’s Global Practice Standards addressing stock and share dealings, external appointments, prohibitions on bribery, corruption and discrimination, economic sanctions, anti-money laundering requirements, and (to some extent) cyber security considerations
- Liaise and interact with the Compliance Teams at Norton Rose Fulbright Australia, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, and Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa on a daily basis
- Analyze conflict issues surrounding directorships and trusteeships in order to maintain databases
- Review client relationship letters to identify contractual obligations to consider in the resolution of conflicts
- Deal with questions and concerns related to our policies related to share dealing
Please note this job description does not cover or contain all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Experience Required
- Licensed to practice law in one or more States in which Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP has an office (particularly Texas, New York, California, and the District of Columbia)
- Experience working as an attorney
- A thorough acquaintance with and working knowledge of US conflicts rules
- Highly intelligent with excellent commercial judgment
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience operating in a multi-cultural environment
- Sufficient maturity and judgment to work successfully and confidently with all levels including senior management and partners
- Be sufficiently confident to exercise risk-based judgment calls on a daily basis
- Be fully familiar with a lawyer’s duties regarding confidentiality, privilege and client care
- Highly analytical with an ability to anticipate potential problems and creatively propose/implement solutions
- Ability to effectively supervise the work product and daily workflow of two analysts; prior supervisory experience is preferred