The US Director, IT Project Services provides strategic and governance oversight and accountability to organizational multi-year, multi-phased initiatives for business case validation, program roadmap development, capital and expense tracking at the program level.
The Director is responsible for planning, leading, organizing, and motivating project teams to achieve a high-level of performance and quality in delivering projects that provide exceptional business value to users. The team may be responsible for managing several concurrent high-visibility global projects in a fast-paced environment that may cross multiple business services or legal teams. The Director will play a number of different roles in actual practice:
- Leading and managing large, complex enterprise-level projects consisting of multiple teams and/or requiring integration with other activities outside the scope of the teams
- Ensuring the appropriate people, process, and tools are in place and coaching members of the team as needed to optimize the efficiency of the project team
In performing these roles, the Director will be expected to use a high-level of knowledge and experience in blending traditional project management principles and practices with an Agile development approach in the right proportions to fit large, complex, mission-critical, enterprise-level global projects and with the appropriate level of planning and provide the right balance of agility and predictability.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage a team responsible for multiple, concurrent assigned projects and/or programs, owning primary accountability for project delivery at all phases of the project lifecycle from initiation to closure.
- Establish program management governance policies and practices, conduct regular reviews such that key projects are tracking to defined objectives and key performance indicators, maintain stakeholder alignment, and proactively manage risk to quality and schedule performance.
- Drive the implementation of the strategy through a formal brief presented to key stakeholders in order to develop a detailed tactical and KPI measurement plan.
- Identify and solve for evolving gaps and emerging needs in skills, process and tool capabilities, and capacity to support sustained long-term business growth thereby achieving a greater level of maturity as a PMO organization.
- Work with program and project managers to identify risks and opportunities across multiple projects within the department; analyze, evaluate, and overcome program risks, and produce program reports for management and stakeholders.
- Design and implement dashboards to report on portfolio health, projects, resources and financials. Translate benchmarking results and new/best practices to stakeholders and management.
- Manage complex projects with a goal of litmus-testing PMO processes and best practices, as well as to identify areas that might cause overhead to a PM. Project management activities would include the development of business cases, charters, and budget management, reporting and retrospectives.
- Collaborate with department chiefs and firm leadership to define, prioritize, and develop project plans.
- Lead IT and business change management activities as related to design reviews, change request approvals, and training and communication plans.
- Convey US requirements for global initiatives and ensure global requirements are considered for US initiatives, where applicable.
- Provide associated program financial reports and budget outlines to US Chief Information Officer and firm leadership. Contribute to the annual US IT budgeting and forecasting process.
Please note this job description does not cover or contain all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 10 years of IT project management experience
- Minimum five years of experience leading a project management team
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, highly desired
- ITIL Foundations certification preferred
- Strong knowledge of various project and/or change management methodologies (eg., Agile/SCRUM)
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite required, including Microsoft Project Server and SharePoint
- Ability to use query and report generation tools
- Advanced skills with audio/video/content collaboration tools
- Advanced project planning and problem solving is required
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong attention to detail and superior customer service skills
- Detail-oriented and proactive individual driven by results who can manage multiple projects, tasks, and deliverables in a fast-paced environment
- High level of problem solving skills in ambiguous environment
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership
- Ability to work well under pressure with a proactive approach including managing multiple deadlines and changing project scope/direction
- Must demonstrate consistent professionalism and discretion while interacting with all levels of the organization
- Flexibility in schedule to work or take calls and meetings outside of regular business hours for global projects
- Regional or international travel may be required as defined by the needs of the project or department