Norton Rose Fulbright is organized by three main practice areas: Business, Disputes and Intellectual Property. The firm differentiates itself globally by strategically marketing six key industries and areas of strength—referred to internally as our “Headlights”— including: Financial Institutions; Energy; Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities; Technology & Innovation (T&I); Transport; and Healthcare and Life Sciences.
The Business Development Manager will provide support on day-to-day strategic marketing and business development activities for the California offices (Los Angeles and San Francisco) and the T&I Headlight, including global and domestic campaigns, events, client targeting, pitches and profile-raising activity.
We are looking for a candidate who: has a strong understanding of professional services (ideally from a law firm environment); is a self-starter who can quickly build rapport with key stakeholders; and has the confidence and insight to take a view of direction on behalf of stakeholders.
In addition, the highly-motivated individual will provide strategic thinking and tactical support of initiatives across the firm. These initiatives include:
- enhancing the market position of the firm;
- strengthening relationships with top clients; and
- promoting collaboration across the global T&I Headlight.
This position reports into the Head of Business Development ,Global and US Intellectual Property. The position will ideally be based in Los Angeles, California.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Devise a practical BD strategy for developing business in California, especially within the tech sector; this strategy comprises business development, marketing and communications activities to deliver on the business priorities of revenue generation, profile development and opportunity realization
- Consult key leaders and partners on their vision for campaigns and campaign components through brainstorming, project planning, ROI measurement and maintaining awareness of competitor and peer activity; develop innovative thought-leadership activity, focused on market trends, to feed the firm’s campaigns
- Develop service offerings and targeted capability statements and identify relevant client targets based on an analysis of the market and the firm’s experience; tracking success ratio of same
- Ensure all marketing communications channels are exploited to convey consistent messages about the sector, our expertise and experience (including but not limited to web, collateral, bids, experience statements, directories, league tables, CVs)
- Project manage strategic proposals and pitches for new work; provide strategic input on approach and team formations based on sector/client knowledge; review and edit content where necessary; supervise the development and maintenance of a library of sector relevant bid content
- Create and maintain a working budget for efforts related to the California market alongside other BD managers in conjunction with Headlight or practice team efforts
- Work with the central key client team and provide strategic input to the management of sector opportunities with global key clients
- Conduct research on client organizations and industries to identify issues to drive Headlight BD activity
- Maintain awareness of relevant global and local marketing products (e.g., from sector or regional programs) which can be used for client development and dialogue
- Draft submissions for major awards, comprehensive survey response campaigns and other initiatives to further the awareness and position of the California market
- Coordinate contributions and input into business development systems including InterAction (CRM), bids and CV databases for supporting initiatives such as bids, events, client intelligence, experience statement compilation, league table and legal directory submissions
- Integrate the use of these systems into all activity according to best practice
- Other projects as assigned
Please note this job description does not cover or contain all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Skills and experience:
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in a professional services sector; ideally with some understanding of law firms
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Understands when to act and when to ask
- Understands the need and has the ability to manage expectations
- Good attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter with excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Possess solid business acumen and experience in analyzing business and legal trends and developing programs, as well as the ability to synthesize complex information
- Proven organizational skills with project management experience and multi-tasking abilities
- Hands-on experience using all programs under the Microsoft Suite (including direct experience with PowerPoint and advanced functions within Excel)
- An innovative problem solver
- Self-directed, highly motivated and results driven
- Confident, persuasive and assertive; capable of building trust among the partnership and wider stakeholder community
- Promotes and demonstrates our business principles
- Focuses on strategic priorities
- Ability to work overtime and travel is required