The Senior Marketing Events Coordinator position in our Houston, Texas office requires a highly-motivated, detail-oriented individual. The Senior Coordinator is responsible for the negotiation, planning and execution of business development programs and events including industry/practice sponsorship opportunities, cross-department client seminars and client events.
This position will work closely with the Business Development team, attorneys and office contacts to implement initiatives focused on promoting the firm, and will develop and administer best practices for adoption throughout the department. The position requires work hours in excess of standard work day and work week, especially during peak events seasons.
Examples of events include: retreats, client-facing meetings in our meeting space, external conferences, webinars, content-driven programs with CLE, breakfast, lunch and dinner meetings, and client events of all types.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, organize, and execute firm events, conferences, seminars, exhibitions and related activities, including venue searching, contract negotiation, handout and nametag preparation, RSVP collation, feedback and post event-analysis
- Serve as editor and manager of all events communications including, tracking of all event requests, approvals, plans and summaries; final approver for all save-the-dates, invitations, reminders, and thank you messages; draft all surveys used for events; ensure consistency among firm intranet referencing events
- Develop relationships with key industry conference producers and related vendors
- Develop reporting metrics for events, including but not limited to budget versus actual cost, client attendance rate, and lawyer attendance rate
- Manage promotional merchandise for assigned events
- Travel to firm functions and training sessions
- Other related projects, as assigned
Qualifications and job-related skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum three years of experience planning and executing professional corporate events
- CMP certification a plus, but not required
- Strong knowledge of events strategy and vendor negotiation in F&B and production design, partnering with hotels, venues and vendors (technology, AV, apps, webinars, etc.)
- Strong budget management and accurate reconciliation skills
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact successfully with lawyers, other firm managers and staff, outside vendors and service providers
- Ability to build effective relationships internally with lawyers and staff as well as external relationships with industry professionals and vendors
- Exemplary professional judgment and discretion and understands when to act and when to ask, using diplomacy
- Strong image and presence that engenders confidence to firm management and lawyers and maintaining composure under event pressure
- Comfort and acumen with reporting to a manager virtually in another city
- Proficient in document management systems and CRM databases, ideally in FileSite, Interaction and Vuture
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint
- Ability to successfully organize and handle multiple priorities at once
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, operational, negotiation and team-management skills
- Demonstrated ability to advise and guide professionals and follow through with strategic initiatives
- Flexible and proactive high-energy professional with strong service orientation
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of highly educated individuals with strong opinions and varying professional development priorities and goals.
- Ability to “manage up”
- Possesses a “can-do” attitude and displays an openness to take on new assignments