Norton Rose Fulbright is organized by three main practice areas: Business, Disputes and Intellectual Property. The firm differentiates itself globally by strategically marketing six key industries and areas of strength referred to as our “Headlights”. They include: Financial Institutions; Energy; Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities; Technology & Innovation; Transport; and Pharmaceuticals and Life Sciences. This role supports the Intellectual Property (IP) practice group and Technology & Innovation (T&I) Headlight.
The Business Development Sr. Coordinator will provide support on day-to-day and strategic marketing and business development activity for the IP practice teams and the T&I industry sector team, including business planning, budgets, credentials, pitches, presentations, events, online content and publications.
We look for people who show ambition, determination and the desire to pursue a career in business development. We aim to provide you with opportunities to develop your career, encouraging close cooperation and teamwork alongside other BD functions.
This position reports into the Director of Business Development, Practices. This position will reside in the Austin office.
Marketing and Business Development
You will support the three teams within IP (Brands, Disputes and Transactions/Patent Prosecution) and the T&I Headlight on specific marketing and business development initiatives, which use the full marketing mix to raise and maintain awareness of our practices and sector strengths in line with our strategic growth objectives.
Specific tasks include:
- Assisting with the development and execution of BD initiatives to target opportunities in specific work areas, sectors and locations
- Monitoring strategic actions agreed in plans and project meetings and helping Partners meet their commitments
- Monitoring business development budgets
- Event support, coordination and delivery in collaboration with the in-house events team for industry conference sponsorships, client presentations and seminars, client dinners and other events related to the promotion of the practices
- Assisting with the creation of monthly IP and quarterly T&I business development newsletters
- Managing and coordinating legal update newsletters and quarterly blog recaps for email distribution
- Organizing repositories (bids, presentations, fee proposals, etc.,) on firm intranet
You will assist with the identification and development of opportunities with global and regional Key Clients of Norton Rose Fulbright, as well as target clients specific to the IP practices and the T&I Headlight.
- Conduct sector or organization research, competitive intelligence and industry trends
- Prepare and produce bespoke bids, panel pitches and other client development presentations for the three IP practice areas. Involves drafting and editing text; coordinating international contributions to opportunities (such as CVs, team details, experience, etc.), ensuring adherence to brand guidelines; and maintaining the library of practice relevant bid content
- Manage the production and updating of practice experience statements, marketing collateral and brochures
You will ensure that all marketing communications channels are utilized to convey consistent messages about the practice and the industry sector, our capabilities and experience - including the development of the use of social media - in consultation with the central E-media team.
- Prepare and coordinate content for submission to legal directories
- Use internal communications channels in the US and, where relevant, at a global level to raise awareness of BD initiatives and opportunities
- Coordinate with partners on the development and publicizing of client alerts and articles, in cooperation with the PR team where necessary
- Ensure on and offline marketing collateral is compliant with visual identity guidelines, working in conjunction with the central E-media and Brand and Design teams
- Update relevant intranet and internet web pages
- Business Development Systems
- Coordinate contributions and input into business development systems including InterAction (contact management database), bids and experience, and CV databases for supporting initiatives such as bids, events, client intelligence, experience statement compilation and legal directory submissions
- Integrate the use of these systems into all activity according to best practice
Skills and Experience Required
- 4-5 years of experience with demonstrable and/or professionally recognized marketing or communications qualification
- Significant relevant marketing and organizational experience
- Understands when to act and when to ask
- Builds trust among lawyers and marketing teams
- Understands the need and has the ability to manage expectations
- Good attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to take on additional responsibility
- Experience of working in a legal and/or professional services environment
- Good working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Our business principles are Quality, Unity, Integrity. The successful candidate will be expected consistently to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Shows technical ability
- Contributes effectively at meetings
- Seeks supervision and/or supervises appropriately
- Communicates effectively
- Organized and meets deadlines
- Focuses on performance enhancement
- Develops and maintains relationships
- Delivers excellent service
- Builds strong reputation
- Actively contributes to the team
- Demonstrates leadership orientation
- Treats people with dignity and respect
- Promotes and demonstrates our business principles
- Focuses on strategic priorities