The Director of Pricing and Legal Project Management is responsible for the continuous development and implementation of client pricing and legal project management models and approaches, consultation with partners/clients on pricing and budgeting solutions to meet Firm/client needs, and establishing a matter management framework of processes, tools, and technology to ensure efficient delivery of legal services and thereby enable achievement of the Firm’s growth and profitability objectives. The position contributes directly to client satisfaction with the Firm’s pricing flexibility and its ability to provide actionable information on matter budgets and projections.
The ideal candidate will be a confident, collaborative leader with excellent analytical and communication skills, strong consultative abilities, a high client service orientation, and a record of delivering impactful results to the business.
The Director ensures that the team provides the most accurate and current information and advice to enable matter scenario planning and decision making in the areas of pricing, rate setting and matter management. The Director provides leadership and coaching that enables his/her team to deliver highly effective client service and direct, responsive support to the Firm. The role has oversight for all of the following functions: pricing, rate setting, legal project management and the establishment and maintenance of the required supporting infrastructure for these functions, including the implementation of technology and related training initiatives.
The Pricing and Legal Project Management team plays a key role in maintaining and further development of the strategic pricing and legal project management capability for the business by continually reviewing and developing the Firm’s approaches to ensure that they are in line with market best practice with the aim of maximizing both client satisfaction and returns for the Firm.
In 2018, Norton Rose Fulbright will implement a new system for the management of matters. The Director will take a lead role in the implementation of the system across the US region.
This position reports to the US Chief Operating Officer (COO) and manages a team of pricing and LPM resources with an ability to identify additional resourcing as needed. The position also contributes to a global team of pricing and legal project management professionals.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Direct the further development and implementation of pricing and efficient legal services delivery strategies/approaches to meet the business needs and strategic goals of the Firm and individual practice groups
- Develop and direct cross-functional pricing and legal project management policies and processes with other key business service departments in the US and globally.
- Work with the Community of Excellence (CoE) to ensure consistency with global policies for pricing and matter management
- Evaluate and manage policies and processes required for effective management and performance tracking of pricing for transactions, bids and panel appointments
- Provide subject matter expertise and work collaboratively with other global leads on the development of technology tools to enable lawyers to price and monitor transactions
- Deliver a continuous development program for partners, associates and other key client facing personnel to become proficient in pricing transactions and matter management techniques
- Be highly visible and an effective communicator and champion and be seen as the go to person on all aspects of pricing, pricing policy, budgeting and matter scoping processes
- Encourage broader and better use of the Firm’s tools to develop more profitable and consistent pricing and delivery approaches
- Maintain pricing knowledge and regularly monitor industry pricing practices, particularly for major competitors
- Assess key trends and develop pricing models for legal services and monitor profitability and implementation of those models
- Provide process improvement insight on current after action reviews and data analysis techniques, including profitability analysis, of prior deals to assist with better scoping, estimation and resourcing; including development of a depository for pricing and LPM best practices
- Work collaboratively with learning and development teams to develop content for training materials on pricing and LPM at all levels as well as deliver training
Skills and Experience Required
- Significant, demonstrable experience in a similar role at either a professional services company or in a legal environment
- Significant experience in a pricing / negotiation / procurement environment
- Client relationship management experience and a full understanding of client development drivers
- Understanding of project estimation and management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle
- Excellent ability to communicate and present key pricing strategies and concepts to senior stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of thought leadership and innovation in problem solving
- Experience and knowledge in sourcing and negotiation topics, business process outsourcing and supplier relationship management
- Substantial experience in pricing strategy, structures and analytics, including leading the development pricing models
- Thoughtful and innovative with an ability influence senior management and achieve wide scale engagement in new pricing and legal project management initiatives