We are committed to being good citizens of the communities in which we live and work. That's why every year, we donate tens of thousands of hours to pro bono matters. We actively seek community partnerships to ensure that our lawyers are available to assist where they are needed most.
Our pro bono commitment amounts to millions of dollars in legal fees donated each year to help those who are unable to pay for services. We also provide assistance to nonprofit charitable organizations, community development projects and legal service programs for the poor.
We consider pro bono hours in our annual bonus program for associates and pay some costs associated with this work. As a part of our tradition of commitment to pro bono, we set expectations for pro bono recognition well above the American Bar Association's recommendation. The American Bar Association honored us as the recipient of the Pro Bono Publico Award, which recognizes firms who "demonstrate the highest levels of commitment and service offered by the legal profession."
Awards and rankings
- Law Firm of the Year, Pro Bono Awards Celebration, Dallas Bar Association, 2016
- Recipient of the Public Counsel Pro Bono Award for the firm's extraordinary commitment to justice, Public Counsel, 2015
- Multi-year award for large law firm category by the Harris County Bench Bar Pro Bono Awards Committee
- Texas Access to Justice Commission, James B. Sales: recipient of the Emily C. Jones Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition for career-long dedication to pro bono services, 2015
- American Bar Association, Pro Bono Publico Award, recognizing firms who "demonstrate the highest levels of commitment and service offered by the legal profession," 2014
- American Bar Association Family Law Section, Stewart Gagnon: recipient of the annual Pro Bono Award, recognizing lawyers who have provided pro bono services to low income and underrepresented populations, 2014
- American Gateways, Chris Weimer: Pro Bono Attorney of 2014
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program, bronze award for dedication to pro bono work, 2013
- Houston Bar Association and Harris County judiciary, Harris County Bench Pro Bono Award, 2013
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers, Stewart Gagnon: Big Shoes Award for "for being an irreplaceable lifetime volunteer;" 2014
- Law360 Pro Bono Firms of 2014, Portfolio Media, Inc., 2014
- San Antonio Bar Association, Community Justice Program's Pro Bono Award for the most pro bono cases handled by a firm in one year, 2013
- Texas Defender Service, Justice in Action award, 2013